It’s nice when you get a chance to extend Christmas into the first week of March. Wait … what? Yup, thanks to the in-laws, they had pre-order me a hobby box of 2017 Topps Heritage and yesterday was the big opening.
Since I am collecting the original 1968 Topps Set, I’m gonna make a strong run at this so I can have the two sets either in the same large album or next to each other. I gotta say, Topps did a great job with these right down to the different patterns of “burlap.” The photography is excellent and I feel they didn’t use any filters that sometimes distort facial features that has happened in older Heritage sets.
This was also the first box in which my son wanted to help me open, so it was doubley rewarding. After unwrapping, I opened to top hoping to find an ad panel of one of the “1968 3Ds” but it ended be an original buyback card. At least the buyback was a Red Sox — Garry Roggenburk (581) who didn’t even pitch for the Sox in ’67. He appeared in a third of an inning for Boston in 1966 and another eleven games in the Hub 1968-69.
In this hobby box, I came away with ONE duplicate card — a N.L. Pitching Leaders card. So right off the bat, excellent collation.
Here’s the box recap:
• Base short prints (1:3 packs) : 9 cards
• Action shot variations: Francisco Lindor (419)
• Color swap: 0 cards
• “Traded line”: 0 cards
• 1968 Game (1:10): Manny Machado, Robinson Cano
• Autographs (on card): Joe Musgrove (RC)
• Blue Tint: Kevin Kiermaier (352)
• Chrome Refractor (#’d to 568): Corey Seager (440) #125/568
• Gum Stain: I believe I had one, Ryan Rua (338)
• Minis (#’d to 100): Jake Lamb (464) #17/100.
• Relics: 0 cards
• Baseball Flashbacks (1:20): Nolan Ryan, Willie Stargell
• News Flashbacks (1:20): Apollo 8
• New Age Performers (1:12): Arcia, LeMahieu
• Then & Now (1:20): Frank Howard/Encarnacion
You can find my want list here, just scroll to the very bottom. If you have cards to trade, please shoot me an email, comment, or ping me on Twitter. The Chrome Refractor Seager is avail, as is the blue tint, and would part with the auto.
Thank you for reading!